Contracts typically govern the relationships of a business with its customers, suppliers and employees. A lack of awareness of the fundaments of contractual knowledge can potentially be a major risk to any organisation. Most employees, in their course of work, would need to deal with contracts, whether they like it or not. This is no exception for human resource practitioners and you will need to possess the necessary knowledge to protect your employer’s interests so as to avoid litigations which can be costly and time consuming.
This workshop provides the legal fundamentals in understanding contract laws, emphasising on employment contracts and any other contracts or agreements incorporated by reference to the employment contract, such as HR policies and procedures, Collective Agreement, employee handbook, Memorandum of Understanding etc. We will also look into HR correspondences which may be laced with contractual or legal obligations of the employer, such as dismissal letter, loan to employees, employee insurance, employee benefits, training bonds and course sponsorships etc.
At the end of this workshop, delegates can be assured that they will have a better understanding of contract laws and its applications.
1. The legal requirements for the formation of a contract.
2. The significance of contract law on the employment relationship.
3. The terms and conditions in different types of contracts.
4. The importance of clarity and flexibility and the art of drafting terms of employment.
5. Variation of contract, and in particular to employment contracts and employee benefits.
6. Recognise what constitute a breach of contract and the remedies available.
7. Drafting the various types or forms of contracts/letters to employees.
8. Pitfalls to avoid in drafting an employment contract.
A competent HR practitioner must have the skills and knowledge in the following:
1. Pre-contractual negotiations before deriving a contract.
2. Essential elements of a contract
3. Factors vitiating contract valid contracts
4. Contents of the contract
5. Termination of contracts and remedies for breach of contracts
6. Remedies for breach of contracts
7. Drafting various types of employment contracts
8. Drafting contracts which are incorporated by reference to employment contract
9. Pitfalls to avoid in drafting an employment contract
Lecture and case study.
Who should attend?
Human Resource Practitioners.